Monday 31 August 2020

An update on the blog and the theatre list....

 You might have noticed I haven't blogged anything since July essays.

I also have not brought back the theatre list, because of the current climate and there currently being no theatre in general until October. I may revive the streaming list if more Alice productions decide to move to Zoom or other paid ticketing service.  The places I take for the theatre list are currently all cancelling their Alice productions. Until this is different... the list on this blog can't be a thing again.

Secondly about this blog in general, I am currently engaged in a far too long project with friends to correct biographical portrayals of Carroll in fiction. Carroll is as I'm sure you are aware, wildly ill served by writers and I aim to counter this by producing PDF correction guides for major portrayals.

I am also toying with the idea of writing a major academic essay on the many portrayals of Dodgson in media and how and why this tends to ignore Karoline Leach and others's research. I don't have all the answers, and after reading some of Will Brooker's research on Carroll and popular culture I confess I suspect this is partly a deep rooted societal issue, but all I can do is explore the subject.

I aim to open up a dialogue as to how Carroll is portrayed the way he is when all new evidence points contrary to this.

This is all a long way of saying I may be leaving this blog for a while... again.

I will update with news on the V and A london exhibition if there is any, and of any research into film versions of Alice.

Until then, stay safe.

Chloe :)