Friday 5 March 2021

Exploring the world of Carroll depictions through a post myth lens...

Its been a wild few months for me, which is why I forgot to post here for a long while! You may remember that a long while back I posted about a long academic essay I was doing about depictions of Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson) in film and TV. I have now very nearly completed what is part 1 of a 2 part retrospective on this. 

Throughout these last few months I have been consuming works such as Dreamchild (1985) and Alice (1965) Examining what they say about 20th century thoughts on Dodgson (non surprise: there's a lot of Freudianism and opinions stated as facts...) and what they say about their author, Dennis Potter.  

Throughout this reading the work of Will Brooker, especially his study Alice's adventures in Popular Culture, has made me contextualize these portrayals. I hope my final piece of work whenever it is finished, can illuminate truths about Dodgson, and more importantly, how society views and misinterprets as eras stretch further into history.